Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post-Exercise Snack Ideas

Hey guys!

I've kind of become obsessed with what I eat after my workouts.  As you know, I've been running more and more and I want my muscles to recover properly so that my next run will be even better. And so far, it's working! It's very important to have a combination of carbohydrates and protein immediately after your workout. The longer you wait, the less effective the food will be in helping your muscles recover. Plus, I'm always hungry when I get back and I look forward to my post workout snacks! Here's a bit of what I've been eating lately.

1. Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Forget Gatorade! It's filled with empty calories and tons of sugar. Plus, it's always a weird neon colour.

Fill your water bottle with filtered water. Add a pinch of sea salt, a squirt of agave and some citrus slices.

2. Fruit and Protein Smoothie

Blend fruit, soy or almond milk, and a vegan protein powder. I like to use hemp protein or vega post-workout powders. I also like to add some green for an extra nutritional kick.

3.  Brown Rice Cakes with Nut Butter

Spread a nut butter of your choice on two brown rice cakes. top with a drizzle of agave and pumpkin seeds.



4. Fit Fun Vegan's Perfect Post-run Scramble

Check out my earlier post here for the recipe.



5.  Raw Veggies with Black Bean Dip


6. My On the Go Workout Snacks
Oranges, dried apricots, larabars, apples and raw almonds.  Plus music and lip balm :)

I hope you find these ideas helpful.

What do you eat before and after a workout?


Do you notice a difference in performance if you don't eat properly?

Love to hear from you!

Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment